Mitchell M. Scheiman, O.D. is Chief of the Pediatric and Binocular Vision Services at The Eye Institute of the Pennsylvania College of Optometry in Philadelphia. He is also a full tenured, Associate Professor of Optometry at the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Dr. Scheiman received his Doctor of Optometry degree from the New England College of Optometry in 1975, and completed a residency in Pediatric Optometry and Vision Therapy in 1976, at the State University of New York. After completion of this residency, he has spent the last 19 years specializing and teaching in the area of pediatric optometry, binocular vision disorders and Orthoptic Therapy. Dr. Scheiman lectures frequently at continuing education meetings, has published numerous articles in the professional literature and has authored 3 textbooks on Pediatric Optometry and Orthoptics.
In June 1994, Dr. Scheiman began employment with Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania as a Pediatric Optometrist and with an emphasis on Orthoptic Treatment. Dr. Scheiman’s practice will be limited to Pediatric Optometry and orthoptic training within our pediatric ophthalmology services.
Professional relationships include:
- Editorial review board of the Journal of Behavioral Optometry
- Editorial review board of the New England Journal of Optometry
- Immediate past chair, Binocular Vision and Perception Committee of the American Academy of Optometry
- Examiner, Diplomate Committee of the Binocular Vision and Perception section of the American Academy of Optometry
- Referee, Optometry and Vision Science
- Referee, Journal American Optometric Association
- Committee member, American Optometric Association Committee on Pediatric Optometry and Binocular Vision
Professional organizations are as follows:
- A Diplomat of the Binocular Vision and Visual Perception Sections
- The American Academy of Optometry
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
- Fellow in the College of Optometrists and Vision Development
- Member of the American Optometric Association
- Member in the Pennsylvania Optometric Association
- Clinical Fellow in the Optometric Extension Program
- Member of the Association for Children with Learning Disabilities.