Cornea Specialists Lebanon, PA
Voted Best of Berks—
eight years in a row!
A corneal specialist, also known as a corneal surgeon, is an ophthalmologist with specialized training and expertise in diagnosing and treating conditions and diseases related to the cornea, the clear, dome-shaped front surface of the eye that plays a crucial role in focusing light onto the retina and therefore enabling clear vision. Conditions affecting the cornea can significantly impact a person’s vision and overall eye health. If you need cornea specialists in Lebanon, PA, look no further than the comprehensive eye care at Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania.
Here’s an in-depth look at what a corneal specialist does:
- Diagnosis of Corneal Conditions: Corneal specialists are skilled in examining the eye and diagnosing various corneal disorders and diseases. These may include corneal abrasions, infections, corneal ulcers, corneal edema (swelling), and corneal degenerations. The physician will use specialized instruments and imaging techniques to evaluate the cornea’s structure and identify abnormalities.
- Medical Treatment: Corneal specialists often provide medical treatment for corneal conditions. This may involve prescribing medications, such as antibiotics, antiviral drugs, or anti-inflammatory eye drops, to manage infections, inflammations, or other corneal disorders. They closely monitor patients to ensure the treatment’s effectiveness and make necessary adjustments when needed.
- Corneal Transplants: When corneal conditions become severe and irreparable, a corneal transplant, also known as corneal grafting, may be required. Corneal specialists perform this complex surgical procedure, where the damaged or diseased cornea is replaced with a healthy donor cornea. They evaluate the patient’s candidacy for the procedure and determine the appropriate type of corneal transplant, such as full-thickness (penetrating) or partial-thickness (lamellar) transplant, based on the individual case.
- Refractive Surgery: Some corneal specialists also perform refractive surgeries aimed at correcting vision problems, such as myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), and astigmatism. Common refractive surgeries include LASIK and PRK to reshape the cornea to improve its focusing ability and reduce the need for glasses or contact lenses.
- Management of Corneal Trauma: Corneal specialists are well-versed in managing eye injuries and trauma that involve the cornea. They provide immediate and appropriate treatment to promote healing and minimize potential complications.
- Contact Lens Fitting: For patients with certain corneal conditions or irregularities, corneal specialists may prescribe and fit specialty contact lenses, such as scleral lenses or gas-permeable lenses. These lenses can help improve vision and comfort for individuals with corneal abnormalities that cannot be fully corrected with standard eyeglasses or soft contact lenses.
Come See Us
Our corneal specialists work in close collaboration with other eye care professionals and other physicians such as general practitioners and endocrinologists to provide comprehensive care for patients with complex eye conditions.
We also place great importance in educating our patients about their specific eye conditions, treatment options, and the importance of regular eye care. Our team’s goal is to empower patients to make informed decisions about their eye health and provide guidance on maintaining good ocular hygiene and preventing future corneal issues.
At Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania, our corneal specialists in Lebanon PA are dedicated to preserving and restoring your vision by offering patients with corneal conditions the best possible care. Come experience for yourself our expertise, surgical skills, and commitment to our patients. Call or schedule an appointment online today.
Find a Doctor
Physician information including education, training, practice location and more.
Schedule an Appointment
Call 800-762-7132 or make an appointment online.