Cornea Specialists Pottstown, PA
Voted Best of Berks—
eight years in a row!
Corneal diseases refer to a wide range of conditions that affect the cornea, the clear, dome-shaped surface at the front of the eye. The cornea plays a vital role in focusing light and protecting the inner structures of the eye. Various factors such as genetics, infections, injuries, and autoimmune disorders can lead to common corneal diseases, as listed below. If you have one of these conditions, you will need a cornea specialist and for Pottstown, PA, Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania is right here in town.
Conditions of the cornea
Keratoconus: a condition that causes the cornea to become thin and bulge into a cone shape, leading to distorted vision.
Corneal Dystrophies: a group of genetic disorders that result in abnormal deposits or changes in the cornea, leading to vision problems.
Corneal Infections: Bacterial, viral, or fungal infections can affect the cornea, leading to pain, redness, and vision loss.
Corneal Ulcers: open sores on the cornea, typically caused by infections or injuries, which can result in severe pain and vision impairment.
Corneal Abrasions: scratches or scrapes on the cornea, usually caused by foreign objects or trauma.
Corneal Edema: a condition that occurs when there is excessive fluid buildup in the cornea, causing swelling and vision disturbances.
Our corneal specialists are medical doctors — all board-certified, fellowship trained ophthalmologists and corneal surgeons who specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases and disorders specifically related to the cornea and surgical management of corneal conditions. Some of the responsibilities of a cornea specialist include:
- Comprehensive Eye Examinations: They perform thorough eye examinations, including detailed evaluations of the cornea, to accurately diagnose corneal diseases accurately.
- Medical Management: They prescribe medications such as eye drops, ointments, or oral medications to manage corneal infections, inflammations, or other non-surgical conditions.
- Corneal Surgery: They perform various surgical procedures related to the cornea, such as corneal transplantation (keratoplasty), refractive surgeries (LASIK or PRK), corneal cross-linking, or other procedures to repair or replace damaged corneal tissue.
- Contact Lens Management: They specialize in fitting and managing specialty contact lenses, including lenses for conditions like keratoconus or corneal dystrophies.
- Patient Education and Counseling: They play a crucial role in educating patients about their condition, treatment options, and preventive measures to maintain optimal corneal health.
- Research and Innovation: They often engage in research activities to explore new treatment modalities, surgical techniques, and advancements in corneal care.
Come see us
If it has been a while since you’ve had an eye exam, come see us. Our corneal specialists in Pottstown, PA are waiting for you to be our next new patient at Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania. Having a cornea specialist is important if you experience any symptoms related to the cornea or have been diagnosed with a corneal disease. We can provide appropriate diagnosis, treatment, and ongoing management to help preserve and restore your vision. If you are looking for eye doctors in or near Pottstown, PA, look no further than Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania. Schedule your initial consultation with us today.
Find a Doctor
Physician information including education, training, practice location and more.
Schedule an Appointment
Call 800-762-7132 or make an appointment online.