Glaucoma at a Glance
Voted Best of Berks—
eight years in a row!
Glaucoma is commonly referred to as the silent thief of sight and is one of the leading causes of preventable blindness worldwide. It affects over 3 million Americans and 70 million people around the world, most of whom don’t even know they have it.
Things to know and remember:
- Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that can cause vision loss and blindness by damaging a nerve in the back of your eye called the optic nerve.
- Glaucoma is a leading cause of vision loss and blindness in the United States — especially for older adults and African Americans.
- Symptoms may start so slowly that you may not notice them.
- The only way to find out if you have glaucoma is to get a comprehensive dilated eye exam.
- There are several types of treatment for glaucoma, including medicines (usually eye drops), laser treatment, and surgery
- There’s no cure for glaucoma, but early treatment can often stop the damage and protect your vision.
Find a Doctor
Physician information including education, training, practice location and more.
Schedule an Appointment
Call 800-762-7132 or make an appointment online.