LASIK Consultation Lancaster, PA
Voted Best of Berks—
eight years in a row!
Great news! After talking with family and friends who have had great results with LASIK, you have decided to take the plunge! Your next step is a LASIK consultation. Lancaster PA residents are in luck because you are nearby two Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania locations – Reading and Lebanon – both about 40 minutes away.
What to expect
The LASIK consultation is an important step in your LASIK journey. You will meet with one of our expert ophthalmologists who specialize in refractive surgery. The consultation will take a couple of hours. We like the consultations to be detailed so that we understand the vision issues you hope to correct with LASIK and your expectations for the surgery outcomes. Our goal is to create a personalized plan for your LASIK experience.
We will review your detailed medical history to determine an overall health check. Patients with certain chronic conditions like diabetes sometimes are not good candidates for LASIK, so understanding your current overall health is important. We will do a thorough evaluation of your eyes and vision to also determine whether you are a good candidate for LASIK surgery.
During the eye exam, the doctor is making detailed eye measurements to create a complete and thorough assessment of the structure and function of your eyes. We use sophisticated diagnostic tests and tools to evaluate every aspect of your eye. We do perform a dilated eye exam because it is the best way to do this evaluation. All of the tests are pain-free and non-invasive. The tests we perform are as follows:
- Measure the ability of the eye to focus. Several tests measure your current refraction, quality of vision and how light scatters as it enters the eye.
- Dilated eye exam. This allows the doctor a better look at the lens that sits behind your pupil. We also are able to better see the retina at the back of the eye, and take certain vision measurements while your eye is dilated.
- Front-of-the-eye measurements. We perform high-resolution digital scans of the front of the eye to create a topography or map of your eye prior to surgery. These scans help evaluate the cornea’s curvature, shape and thickness, and also help us evaluate the tear film on the eye’s surface.
- Inside-of-the-eye measurements. These measurements help us evaluate the function and overall health of the retina. You will look into a digital device that images the retina, the eye structure that processes light coming into the eye and sends nerve signals to the brain that allow you to see images.
- Surface-of-the-eye measurements. We perform tests that help us further evaluate your eye’s tear film, important to the post-surgery healing. We will make sure you have sufficient tear film production and evaluate the tear composition.
- Other eye measurements. We use a high-powered microscope to further examine the internal eye structures to measure eyeball dimensions and pupil size. Other tests screen for conditions like glaucoma, macular degeneration, eye infections and allergies.
What to ask
We recommend that you prepare your questions ahead of the appointment. Ask us about the procedure, surgeon qualifications, our team and what to expect the day of the procedure. Here are some specific things to ask:
- How is my overall health?
- Is LASIK my best option for vision correction treatment for my eyes and my lifestyle?
- What should I realistically expect my post-surgery vision to be like?
- What is post-surgery recovery like?
- Will I need any LASIK surgery enhancements in the future?
Come to the expert eye group
A lot goes into our LASIK eye surgery consultation. We are thorough because we have your health and safety in mind. Just know that this exam provides your surgeon with a wealth of detailed information so that we can determine your candidacy for LASIK surgery. If LASIK is not your best option, we will discuss other vision correction options. However, most patients are indeed candidates for LASIK.
Take your important next step in your LASIK journey. Lancaster, PA, LASIK consultation at Eye Consultants is close by. Come to either our Reading or Lebanon locations, both of which are just a short drive away. Give us a call today to meet one of our great surgeons. We will help you examine all your options and answer all your questions to help you make the right decision regarding your vision.
Find a Doctor
Physician information including education, training, practice location and more.
Schedule an Appointment
Call 800-762-7132 or make an appointment online.