Are you considering LASIK surgery in Berks County, PA? Your first step should be to choose a qualified surgeon who can first evaluate whether laser vision correction is right for you.
At Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania, our cornea and refractive surgery experts, Adam J. Altman, MD, Jonathan D. Primack, MD, and Kevin J. Shah, MD have a combined 40+ years of LASIK experience and are the only cornea fellowship-trained LASIK specialists in the area. This means they have undergone an advanced course of training in all aspects of corneal disease and care, and will deliver the highest standard of care.
About Bladeless Custom LASIK
LASIK (Laser In-situ Keratomileusis) surgery makes it possible to improve the ability of your eyes to focus and reduce your dependency upon glasses or contacts.
This is accomplished by sculpting or reshaping corneal tissue based on the unique requirements of your eyes through what is called a “corneal flap.” The traditional way to create the flap is with a handheld instrument, called a microkeratome, which contains a metal blade.
Thanks to the state-of-the-art Bladeless Custom LASIK technique, the surgeon can now use a femtosecond laser beam to create the flap without the use of a metal blade. This procedure is our preferred technique of laser vision correction for the majority of patients because it is very precise, safe and accurate.
Bladeless Custom LASIK is performed in three steps:
- Using a femtosecond laser, the doctor creates a hinged flap on the surface of the cornea.
- The flap is gently folded back to expose the underlying corneal tissue which is then reshaped by the laser.
- The hinged flap is placed back into position so that it may heal into place; no stitches are used.
During the procedure, you will be asked to look at a red fixation light; this light is not the laser, but a guide to help keep your eye steady and pointed in the correct direction. The laser is also equipped with a tracking device in case your eye moves. As the laser delivers steady, rhythmic pulses of light to the cornea, you will hear a clicking sound.
The procedure is painless, but the main advantage of LASIK is the quick visual recovery. Many patients wake up the morning after surgery and can see clearly without glasses or contacts.
Top 5 Reasons to Choose Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania for LASIK Surgery
- We are the leading ophthalmology practice in the region, with four convenient locations in Wyomissing, Pottsville, Pottstown and Blandon.
- The corneal specialists at Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania utilize the most advanced specialized instruments and equipment to analyze and optimize the outcome of every LASIK procedure.
- All of our doctors are board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and continually update their skills and knowledge to offer patients the latest advancements in eye care.
- Our corneal specialists have been trained by some of the most respected medical facilities in the world, including Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, the Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary at Harvard Medical School in Boston, and the Cincinnati Eye Institute at the University of Cincinnati.
- Altman, Primack, and Shah are the only refractive surgeons in Berks County to perform Bladeless LASIK on-site in the convenience of their fully-licensed outpatient surgical facility.
If you live or work in Berks County, PA and have questions about LASIK eye surgery and whether it’s right for you, schedule a free consultation at Eye Consultants of Pennsylvania.